30 Poems in 30 Days

30 Poems in 30 Days
NaPoWriMo
A Project for National Poetry Writing Month

Monday, April 28, 2014

Day 21 New York School

Here's a Frank O'Hara imitation, set in Nashville instead of NYC.

The Homeless Paper


One time just going along
down the aisle at the Turnip Truck
by the good-for-you crackers, thinking
how even melted gruyere wouldn’t make them
taste good, thinking how I need to buy a copy
of The Contributor on the way out and did I have
a dollar, and there he was, someone handsome
an actor on a TV show they make here in town
and he’s in my way when I reach for the bad-for-you
crackers and he sees what I’m trying to do and
reaches them down for me, says these are really
good and I’m not so impressed by celebrity or beauty
that I can’t speak, but I just nod, say uhhuh, take
the crackers from his long, handsome fingers
and wonder if I have a dollar or if I need to remember
to ask for change.